Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Health, Happiness and Body Image

I see so much on the internet these days of posts saying "Learn the difference between curvy and fat" or "She's not curvy, she's fat"

What does it matter? Who made these people the authority to put a label on someone's looks? I doubt these people who make these comments from behind a computer screen would want somebody to analyse their body and label it "average" or "a bit chubby" or "too skinny". Yet for some reason, when a picture is posted online people have to make judgements.

I also see comments like "Oh, she can't be healthy! What's her BMI?!?!" Like it's any of their business what someone elses BMI is, nor do they have the right to judge someone's health just by looking at a photo. I know that you get healthy people and unhealthy people in all shapes and sizes. I see big women who play sports like rugby and spend a lot of time exercising but have the extra weight that is handy in a scrum. I do karate, and believe me, being short and stocky gives a great centre of gravity.

 Although I'm not claiming to be the epitome of healthy living, I enjoy healthy food and the occassional treat just like everyone else. Everyone has different bodies that work in different ways and different metabolism. I find I only ever binge if I've been trying to restrict my diet too much, now I've adopted a habit of not restricting myself, sometimes I genuinely just want a chicken salad! Please Note: You are not helping people or doing something for their own good by mocking their image, how pretentious can you be?

It's so easy to become depressed about body image, it's an issue close to home because I've had some highs and lows when it comes to this issue. No body is perfect, and I think it's time we embrace who we are and the bodies we have. I am just going to do what feels good and makes me happy and sometimes that involves karate, swimming and a kick about with a football with my boyfriend. At other times it involves reading, watching trashy TV and going on the internet.

It's time to stop aspiring to be something we're not... We are who we are. Be proud of that & look after yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment